Hurricanes, tropical storms, floods...quite the start to Autumn!!
Here are some weather idioms to practice sounding like a native!!
1. As right as rain = healthy and happy.
E.g. - How are you today? - I'm as right as rain!
2. Be a Breeze = To be very easy
E.g. Don't worry about the exam it's going to be a breeze!
3. Take a rain check = Ask to rearrange a meeting.
E.g. I'm sorry I think I'm going to have to take a rain check, can we meet next week instead?
4. Under the weather = Feeling a little bit ill
E.g. I think I'm going to go home now, I'm feeling a little bit under the weather.
5. Break the ice = To say or do something to make someone feel relaxed in a social setting.
E.g. When my friend meets someone new, he asks them what their favourite type of triangle is, just to break the ice!
6. Every cloud has a silver lining
There is always something positive to come out of an unpleasant situation.
7. It never rains but it pours
When things just don't go wrong, but they go very wrong and more bad things happen.
8. Steal someone's thunder = To take attention away from someone on their special day or moment.
E.g. If your friend is getting married and on the day of the wedding you announce that you are pregnant you might steal their thunder.
9. It's raining cats and dogs = It's raining very hard.
10. To be on cloud nine = To be extremely happy.
E.g. On your honeymoon you could be on cloud nine.
How many have you been to? I'm on 6!
Autumn seems to be here after the lovely late September weather we had.
The leaves are changing, it's getting cooler but it's one of my favourite times of the year!
Chestnuts, sweet potatoes, mushroom hunting are just some of the things I love about autumn. Also, Halloween is just around the corner so we will be doing some related activities with the kids (and adults!!) this month!